Mormon tea

Dan Goodman dsgood at VISI.COM
Sat Jul 31 04:30:25 UTC 1999

>Date:    Fri, 30 Jul 1999 11:09:55 -0500
>From:    Erin McKean <editor at VERBATIMMAG.COM>
>Subject: Mormon tea
>
>Can anyone help with this? What we know already: ephedra is a well-known
>stimulant often used in bodybuilding and dieting.

>>Date: Thu, 29 Jul 99 10:01:22 Central Daylight Time
>>From: Suzanne Arney <suzanne.arney at gte.net>
>>To: editor <editor at verbatimmag.com>
>>Subject: Mormon tea
>>
>>Can you help me understand this phrase: Mormon tea.  It is a scrubby plant
>>(ephedra), but whether it was used
>>by Mormons as a non-caffeinated beveredge, or is some kind of reference I
>>do not know.  I'd appreciate any
>>clarification as I am writing an article about pioneers.
>>Thanks--Suzanne

Mormon tea is also known as brigham tea.  The one Utahn (LDS) I've
discussed it with wasn't familiar with the first term.

It was indeed used as a tea.

One older dictionary I've looked it up in explained that it was called
Mormon tea because of its medical qualities.  It was effective against
syphilis; and polygamy made the Mormons more susceptible to venereal
disease.  This is probably several kinds of nonsense.

Dan Goodman
dsgood at visi.com
http://www.visi.com/~dsgood/index.html
Whatever you wish for me, may you have twice as much.