Golden Rule

Gerald Cohen gcohen at UMR.EDU
Mon May 17 02:23:39 UTC 1999

Beverly Flanigan has asked:

>Another version we use here (with reference to who decides which dialect is
>standard) is: "Those with the gold make the rules."  Surely this wasn't

*********
     I  saw it in writing (as a quote) during the  oil embargo of the 1980s
(or was it the 1970s?  Time flies.)  The reference was to the Arabs, who in
the frequent pun of the time were said to have the West over a barrel.
Someone in the article made reference to the Golden Rule and then added the
clarification: "He who was the gold makes the rules."

gcohen at umr.edu