Silicon Valley teen slang

Jim Rader jrader at M-W.COM
Mon May 17 09:45:26 UTC 1999

The slangism for which RHHDAS has <jiboney> as the principal entry hs
many variants.  My father used to use /dz^@ 'lo ni/ (which I'd spell
<jalony> if I had to); for a long time I thought it was a word he had
made up.  Merriam's files have only slight evidence for members of
this word family (though I haven't searched exhaustively).  I do find
the following, collected by W.L. McAtee, a retired ornithologist (d.
1962), who contributed many cites from pulp crime magazines of
the 1950's:

"For money, some men will even kill," one of the jablonies muttered
to me. (_Detective News_ [New York], No. 1/2, June, 1956, p. 78)

McAtee was not familiar with the word, to judge by the gloss he gave
it: "exact meaning unknown; it refers to agents of an international
diamond cartel."

Jim Rader