Babtists

Pafra & Scott Catledge scplc at GS.VERIO.NET
Sun Nov 7 14:24:50 UTC 1999

----- Original Message -----
From: M. Lynne Murphy <M_Lynne_Murphy at BAYLOR.EDU>
To: <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Sent: Saturday, November 06, 1999 11:53 PM
Subject: Babtists

> I was refering to American Baptist Convention versus Southern Baptist
> Convention, but we might phrase it in terms of southern Baptists and
> northern Baptists--would southern Baptists call northern Baptists
"Babtist"?
    Why not?  It's a matter of dialect--not creed.

> (And, of course, there are other types of Baptists too, Missionary
Baptist,
> National Baptist--both of which around here seem to be predominantly
> African-American churches.)

A few decades back, I was doing a paper on Baptists and identified
51 or so Baptist groups in the US--not counting immigrant groups.
They range from the Arminian Baptists and the Seventh-Day Baptists
to the Two Seed in the Spirit Predestinarian Baptists.   Missionary
Baptists are also several European-American churches also; there is
at least one European-American National Baptist group (I have to say
"group" because most, if not almost all, Baptist groups, as a point of
religious conviction, shun use of the word "church" for anything except
a local body of baptized believers.  They use the terms "fellowship,"
"convention," "association," and others of that ilk.