Writing question

Bob Fitzke fitzke at VOYAGER.NET
Sat Nov 13 02:38:40 UTC 1999

Pafra & Scott Catledge wrote:

> > I wouldn't be happy if English majors with no training in computers
> > tried to create an operating system I would have to use on my computer.
> > Why should I be forced to accept the impenetrable muddles written by
> > computer geniuses with no knowledge of writing?
> >
> > -- mike salovesh                    <salovesh at niu.edu>
> > PEACE !!!
>
> You hit the nail on the head; I always prattle on that the best "how-to"
> manuals are written by a naive writer with the expert assistance of
> someone in the field.

My view has been that computer instructions are written by folks who want to
globally explain everything  the computer can do. They should be written from
the perspective of the user, the person who wants to do something specific.
And far too often the instructions use several words for the same item or
thing; a practice that would screw up a program these instruction-writers
would construct.  When you think about it, it boggles the mind that thousands
of teachers daily and successfully give instructions to millions of kids about
how to do things they, the kids, have never done before. At a fraction of what
these computer types are paid.