pardon this, codger!

Enid Pearsons epearsons at RANDOMHOUSE.COM
Thu Oct 7 18:01:43 UTC 1999

I once asked my daughter and her (then) teenage friends, who used various
colorful obscenities so casually and so frequently that they were rather
like punctuation, what they all did when they were REALLY ANGRY and wanted
to express their anger with swear words.  The answer:  "We say them
louder."

))))))))) Previous Notes Mail
((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((
To:     ADS-L @ LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
cc:     (bcc: Enid Pearsons/Trade/RandomHouse)
From:  James Smith <jsmithjamessmith @ YAHOO.COM>
Date:  10/07/99 01:43 PM
Subject:  Re: pardon this, codger!

--- "Dennis R. Preston" <preston at PILOT.MSU.EDU> wrote:
> 1) How do you know what people are capable of by
> just listerning to them?
> You don't know what they didn't choose to say.

I am not stating a generalization that all angry
people swear, nor that all swearing people are angry.
I am saying the <<inability>> of people to express
themselves without profanity can be a warning sign of
anger rather than merely a warning of a limited
vocabulary.

Our difference seems to hinge on the word "unable" in
the original question.  I took it quite literally and
meant exactly what I wrote: "When I
hear someone UNABLE to express themself without
profanity, en guarde!"

Jim SMITH

=====