Etymology of "kike"

Gerald Cohen gcohen at UMR.EDU
Sat Oct 23 19:58:10 UTC 1999

In an Oct. 22 message Marja Brandon writes:

>    Im interested in the origin in certain slang words  often used to put
>out-of-power groups down, any ideas where the words "kike" or  " dyke"
>come from?  I ask in all seriousness and would love a reference to  a book
>of etymologial slang--?? Thanks

      In reply:

1)  See Joseph Wallfield's article "Etymology of _Kike_", in  _Studies in
Slang, part V_ (edited by Gerald Leonard Cohen)  Frankfurt am Main: Peter
Lang Verlag, 1997,  pp.141-142.

2)  Anyone interested in abusive language should become familiar with
Reinhold Aman's journal _Maledicta_ (Its subheading is _The Journal of
Verbal Aggression_).   The address is: Maledicta Press, P.O. Box 14123,
Santa Rosa, California 95402-6123.

3) Anyone interested in U.S. and British slang might want to remain
subscribed to ADS-L.

----Gerald Cohen

gcohen at umr.edu