FUNERALIZE

Lynne Murphy M_Lynne_Murphy at BAYLOR.EDU
Sat Oct 23 23:58:35 UTC 1999

Well, I grew up in a funeral home in small-town western NY and count myself as
being sensitive to funeral language, and I'm not familiar w/ funeralize.
Flexner & Soukhanov's _Speaking Freely_ has a chapter on funeral lg, even w/ a
discussion of African-American funeral lg, and it also doesn't mention it.
But DARE has it, recording it as South/South-Midland--no mention of ethnicity.
This wouldn't surprise me because funerals seem a bit different in north &
south.

Lynne

--

M. Lynne Murphy, Assistant Professor in Linguistics
Department of English, Baylor University