/or/ distinctions and more

Thu Apr 13 13:50:48 UTC 2000

Ron is right. Even some of these so-called high-frequency environments can
contain the cot rather than caught vowel. I don't agree with him, for
example, on soggy (always cot for me) but I agree with him and vary with
slog.

My rule appears to be this: if I learned one of these high-frequency caught
environment words as a kid, it's caught (frog, log, dog, hog); if it's a
later learned word it's variable or cot (cog, smog, togs, soggy).
Fricatives, hwoever, appear to be an exception. Cough is a kid-word and is
a caught, but lofty is obviosly not a kid word (I don't weant to hear about
it if you knew it when you were three) but is also invariably caught.

dInIs