/or/ distinctions and more

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Thu Apr 13 14:13:27 UTC 2000

If a northeasterner's perspective is of interest, HORSE and HOARSE are
homophones for me (and for most northeastern students in our dialects
class) but COT and CAUGHT are sharply distinguished.  I suspect that the
voiceless WH is on its way out--as a New Yorker, I never distinguished
'which' and 'witch' except metalinguistically to disambiguate them--but it
survives in pockets up here.  My wife, who grew up in Connecticut half a
century ago, retains the distinction, but our kids, who are currently
growing up in Connecticut, don't.

larry