Suntory cocktails

Sallie Lemons Sallie.Lemons at MSDW.COM
Wed Apr 19 14:21:36 UTC 2000

Bapopik at AOL.COM wrote:

>    Greetings from Kagoshima.
> JANGLISH (continued)
>
>   One convenience store is COCO!  The sign says:
>
> liquor & wine
> soft drink
> daily products
> dry grocery
> magazine
>
>  <<< Daily products or dairy products?  Dry grocery or dry goods?
>   A popular restaurant chain is "Joyfull."  I haven't tried it, so I can't say if the food is joyful and triumphant.>>>

Having worked for NHK-TV, I can tell you the "L" "R" reversal is very much alive. During one shoot at Harvard, the crew had everyone calling me SARRIE-SAN. I have endless other stories. So, it is with some amusement I see "daily products."

I have also noted that many a Korean deli in New York City has "happy" in its name. I have no insight on how this evolved (psychologically or linguistically), but I'd be curious to find out.