pudding

Sallie Lemons Sallie.Lemons at MSDW.COM
Tue Apr 25 18:28:47 UTC 2000

My understanding is that the strand was a discussion/offering of both misquotes or
underquotes that had worked their way into the general lexicon. Examples given
were (1) proof of the pudding, (2) happy as a clam, and (3) Romeo, Romeo.  In my
experience, most people commonly say Man does not live by bread alone rather than
the full quote you gave below and apply it to a variety of topics--not just diet.
A girlfriend of mine, seen ingesting a piece of chocolate cake, said "Man does not
live by bread alone." I've heard it used in sexual, financial, and other
contexts.  Am I alone here?