History of English (Not!)

Steve K. stevek at SHORE.NET
Tue Aug 1 19:07:53 UTC 2000

On Tue, 1 Aug 2000 AAllan at AOL.COM wrote:

[reporting on what was seen on the web]

> >>Most of the words in the English language were made up by the Benedictines
> and grammarians in their scriptoria, some later evolved from the words these
> linguists invented. The monks did the word construction mostly by writing a
> short sentence describing the subject in Basque. In some cases they used
> wisecracks or jokes, even crude remarks and personal feelings. <<

This came to my attention in 1993, where it was much discussed in the
lounge at school. This person has spent much of his life working on
this. At one point, he was even tying Greenlandic Eskimo into this.

Without looking at the website, you cannot even believe how utterly
in-depth this guy goes. It's truly boggling. And he's been doing it for
years.