Campbell (was: Flipping the bird? and Morse)

Peter A. McGraw pmcgraw at LINFIELD.EDU
Wed Aug 2 16:40:44 UTC 2000

My mother, who was born in Houston and grew up there and in Olkahoma City,
always pronounced "Campbell" as "camel," and once instructed me that this
was how the name is pronounced.  My reaction was the same as Arnold's.

Peter Mc.

--On Wed, Aug 2, 2000 9:17 AM -0700 Arnold Zwicky
<zwicky at CSLI.STANFORD.EDU> wrote:

> extremely item-specific pronunciations are not unknown.  ann
> daingerfield zwicky (and some of the people she grew up with in
> lexington, kentucky) had "Campbell" pronounced the same as "camel",
> while maintaining the [b] in "ramble", "Rambo", etc.  she used this
> pronunciation for everyone named Campbell, whether or not they
> themselves used it.  so it was "Camel's condensed soups", which
> always struck me as perverse.

                               Peter A. McGraw
                   Linfield College   *   McMinnville, OR
                            pmcgraw at linfield.edu