possible citation of possible interest

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Fri Aug 11 12:55:17 UTC 2000

This question came up on another list--
============
I'm trying to trace an authoritative source for the remark, alleged to
have been made by that King [James I] when he first saw St Paul's Cathedral:
"How monstrous, awful, and artificial" - all terms then used in a
favourable way (for an impressively large, awe-inspiring, work of art)
but now derogatory.
--and it made me wonder whether anyone here (e.g. Fred, who might
consider it as a possible item for the Dictionary of Quotations, if
it IS an actual quotation) had come across it.  It's a great example
to use in class to illustrate meaning change, assuming it's legit.

larry