Bachelors-Buttons & more food

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun Dec 3 02:01:16 UTC 2000

BACHELORS-BUTTONS

   John Mariani's ENCYCLOPEDIA OF AMERICAN FOOD & DRINK has "bachelors buttons" from 1969.
   From BETTER HOMES AND GARDENS, September 1957, pg. 117, col. 3:

_Bachelors-buttons_
Butterscotch and spice flavor.  Rich and crisp--
3/4 cup butter
1 cup brown sugar
1 egg
2 cups sifted enriched flour
1 teaspoon soda
1/4 teaspoon ginger
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup chopped nuts
Cream butter, add sugar gradually and beat well.  Add unbeaten egg.  Sift together dry ingredients; stir into butter mixture.  Fold in vanilla and nuts.  Chill for several hours.  Make into small balls (1 level teaspoon dough for tiny cookies, 2 for medium).  Dip balls in granualted sugar; place 2 inches apart on lightly buttered cooky sheet, and press down with a fork.  Bake in moderate oven (375 degrees) until nicely browned, about 8 to 10 minutes.  Makes 12 dozen tiny cookies.

CHICKEN A LA KING (continued)

   "How Chicken a la King Originated" by E. Clarke King III is in BETTER HOMES AND GARDENS, April 1937, pg. 86.  It is stated that E. Clarke King II invented the dish at the old Brighton Beach Hotel in New York City.
   This is not true.  Check the two cites on ADS-L.  I could find additional cites if I check the Philadelphia newspapers for obituaries of chef William King.  He's the true chicken king.

CHOCOLATE-CHIP ICE CREAM (continued)

   From BETTER HOMES AND GARDENS, June 1938, pg. 36, col. 1:

_Chocolate-Chip Ice Cream_
   Scald 2 cups heavy cream and 2 cups milk in double boiler; add 2 tablespoons cornstarch dissolved in 2 tablespoons milk; cook until slightly thick, stirring constantly.  Add a little of the hot custard to 2 well-beaten eggs; stir into the custard and cook until thick.  Remove from heat; add 1/2 cup sugar and beat until smooth.  Cool thoroly.  Add 2 teaspoons vanilla and 3 ounces grated or chipped semisweet chocolate.  Freeze in hand freezer, using 3 parts ice to 1 part salt; pack and allow to ripen.  Makes 1 1/2 quarts.--_Mrs. Elmer Kindschi_, Prairie du Sac, Wisconsin.

CHILI HOT DOGS

   "Chili dogs" were promoted by Hormel in the 1970s, but they're not new.
   From BETTER HOMES AND GARDENS, September 1956, pg. 132, col. 4:

_Chili Hot Dogs_
Mighty good chili dolled up with franks and a can of tomato soup--
1 pound ground beef
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 tablespoon fat
1 1-pound can (2 cups) chili with beans
8 frankfurters, cut diagonally in 1/4- to 1/2-inch    slices
1 can condensed tomato soup
1/2 cup chili sauce
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup diced pepper
In a large skillet, lightly brown meat and onion in hot fat.  Add chili, frankfurters, soup, chili sauce, and salt.  Heat thoroughly.  Ass green pepper.  Garnish with diagonal cuts of frankfurters and ripe-olive slices.  Makes 8 servings.

TORPEDOES; BLACK BOTTOM PIE

   From BETTER HOMES AND GARDENS, July 1958, pg. 68, col. 1--"_1 Torpedoes_--or call 'em submarines."  (Recipe is included with other sandwiches--ed.)

   John Mariani's ENCYCLOPEDIA OF AMERICAN FOOD & DRINK has "black bottom pie" as first cited in 1951.  It's in BETTER HOMES AND GARDENS, December 1946, pg. 90.

PLANTER'S PUNCH (continued)

   From RESTAURANT MANAGEMENT, March 1936, pg. 211, col. 1:

_How Do YOU Make a Planter's Punch?_
(...)
   THE Planter's Punch is a comparative newcomer in the field of mixed drinks.  Unlike the famed Philadelphia Fish House Punch, the Planter's Punch does not appear in old-time bar books or bartenders' guides.  Its growing popularity must in very large part be credited to the Jamaica rum company whose advertising pushes the original recipe.
   The famed original Planter's Punch recipe is in rhyme: One of sour, two of sweet, three of strong, four of weak.  Translated, this means one part of lime juice, to two parts of sugar syrup, to three parts of Jamaice rum, to four parts of ice and water.

   From CATERER AND LIQUOR RETAILER, September 1941, pg. 19, col. 2 (Bacardi ad):

YES...
_BACARDI_
COCKTAILS
MUST*
BE MADE WITH
_BACARDI_
*Ruling of the N. Y. Supreme Court, April 28, 1936
   The Recipe in Rhyme!
A LITTLE SOUR,
(Juice of half a lime)
A LITTLE SWEET,
(1/2 teaspoonful of sugar)
THE TROPIC SUN,
(A jigger of BACARDI,
White or Silver Label)
WITHOUT THE HEAT!
(Ice and shake well)

NYPL

   The library was crowded today.  I'm about done with BETTER HOMES AND GARDENS.  I'm done with MERCHANT-RESTAURATEUR.  I'm about done with AMERICAN RESTAURANT, RESTAURANT MANAGEMENT, THE RESTAURANT MAN, and THE RESTAURATEUR.  I also went through SIGNATURE: THE DINERS' CLUB MAGAZINE and HOTEL INDUSTRY.
   Next week, around my work schedule, Ill try to go through four very promising publications: CATERER AND LIQUOR RETAILER, CATERER AND HOTEL PROPRIETORS' GAZETTE, THE STEWARD, and FOOD, HOSPITALITY AND LODGING (the 1960s continuation of AMERICAN RESTAURANT; I was just told that it's available on microfilm).
   THE SODA FOUNTAIN (later, FAST FOOD) was taken to be microfilmed on 9-3-1999 and is still unavailable for reading.  I _quickly_ checked it at the Library of Congress and it didn't seem to have a lot of recipes in its later years (1950s and 1960s).