"We are what we eat" & more

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun Dec 3 21:11:51 UTC 2000

FOOD MISC.

WE ARE WHAT WE EAT--The title of an article in BETTER HOMES & GARDENS, August 1940, pg. 18.

THE PAINTS--"An Intimate Picture of Harry M. Stevens, Big Business Caterer, as told by Damon Runyon," was reprinted in CATERER AND HOTEL PROPRIETORS' GAZETTE, November 1931, pg. 36.  Col. 2: "He is up in what the gamblers call 'the paints,' or high cards, in age."

SUBMARINES--From RESTAURANT MANAGEMENT, July 1955, pg. 62, col. 2: "Other names, like 'Italian Club,' 'Grinder,' 'Hero,' and 'Submarine' are used in certain areas.  The filling may be salami, cheese, tomatoes, sliced dill pickles, shredded lettuce with olive oil, and other combinations.  Anchovies and sardines are a good fish combination.  The 'Submarine' name came from New London, Conn."  (I may visit there on a day trip, either next week or early next year--ed.)

CAIPIRINHA--From SIGNATURE: DINERS' CLUB MAGAZINE, January 1969, pg. 59, col. 2: "One of the most swinging places in the world at Mardi Gras time is Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, where the wild celebration is known as _Carnaval_.  But at any time of the year, the favorite drink is a _Batida_.  It is made with _cachaca_, the native rum..."  The "caipirinha" is _not_ mentioned.  See ADS-L archives for more.

SURF & TURF--An article "Fish on Steak Row" in RESTAURANT MANAGEMENT, October 1962, pg. 70, does _not_ have "Surf & Turf."  I expect to find it maybe tomorrow as I look in FOOD & LODGING/AMERICAN RESTAURANT from the 1960s.

CHOWDER--From HOTEL INDUSTRY, July 1921, "America's Food Vocabulary," pg. 22, col. 2:  "Chowder crept into the English language from the Chinese, as did chow-chow, but 'chow,' the soldiers' mess, has a much less oriental ancestry.  In provincial English chow means to chew, and it was the Tommy who first laconically termed his food 'chow.'" CHOWDER IS CHINESE?  I love collecting stupid etymologies like this!

NON-FOOD MISC.

THE MAN--A Bobby "Blue" Bland album, HERE'S THE MAN!!!, is shown in SEPIA, April 1965, pg. 50.

DEPRESSION COMPLEX--The economy lately is bringing this back.  "'Forget the Depression Complex,' Urges Mulbauer, and Build Intelligently for the Future" is the headline in HOTEL INDUSTRY, January 1932, pg. 20.

F-WORD--From SIGNATURE: THE DINERS' CLUB MAGAZINE, September 1969, "A F--R LETTER W--D MAN PROTESTS" by Meyer Levin, pg. 41, col. 2:  "As it happens, way back in 1936 I was one of the first to use the basic, four-letter word in cold print in an American novel, and without incident.  In a panoramic story about life on Chicago's West Side called _The Old Bunch_, the word came into my manuscript a few times and I simply let it stand.

CHUTZPAH--From SIGNATURE, May 1966, "CHUTZPAH" by Charles W. Parker, pg. 20, col. 2:  "_Chutzpah_ is one ofthose wonderful Jewish words.  It describes the characteristic of any and all people who have the nerve, gall or courage to perform outlandish acts of imposition.  The classic example of _chutzpah_ is the little boy who killed his mother and father and then threw himself on the mercy of the court--because he was an orphan."