Folk Awareness oif Dialect

Mon Dec 4 19:51:24 UTC 2000

What's "the phonetic value of the letter U"?  The 'au' digraph has been
variously pronounced for a long, long time.  Words in this class (including
branch, dance, grant, aunt) are of French origin, of course, with
Anglo-Norman/Middle English /au/ monophthongizing to /a/ and then variously
becoming [backward C], [script a], [a], [ae], and even [e] (as in ain't,
cain't, and Aint Jane in Southern English), as the vowel is fronted and
raised.  The 'aunt/ant' homophone pair should caution (caeshin'?) us
against assuming only one pronunciation is correct; Hughes and Trudgill
show the variation in pronunciation of 'aunt' all across the British
Isles.  In SE Ohio we have a town called Chauncey which is pronounced
locally as 'chancey', presumably because, like Staunton, it was founded by
immigrants from an /ae/ area in Britain.  And spelling can conform to this:
consider gauntlet/gantlet.  Outsiders in our area regularly say the 'dumb
hicks' here don't know how to pronounce their own town's name--which makes
you wonder who's ignorant and who's not?

Nativizing of borrowed words is common everywhere; again, witness British
English's english-ing of foreign words from way back.  And what on earth is
the 'Confederate Diaspora'?  In Minnesota we have Milan ([mayl at n], New
Prague ([preg]), Montevideo ([man at vIDio] with stress on vID), and any
number of French names.  This isn't just a Southern phenomenon by any means.