Folk Awareness oif Dialect

Mon Dec 4 20:20:21 UTC 2000

In SE Ohio we also have a LANG-kist-er (a real shibboleth, and my street
name as well, so that long distance phone operators are always correcting
me to LAN-cast-er).  "Red up" is also used here, as is 'pop'.  "Where's it
at" and bag/sack variation are also common.  "Awhile" without a prep.,
'suite/suit' homophony, and 'barbecue' may be general--they're used in
Minnesota too.