Hogies (1949)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Mon Dec 11 16:17:32 UTC 2000

   Greetings from Widener University in Chester, PA.  I took a 7 am Greyhound from NYC to Phildelphia, and then a 9:30 am train to Chester.
   I found "hogies" in just a few minutes.
   The student newspaper of Pennsylvania Military College (PMC) was THE DOME.

5 March 1947, THE DOME, pg. 5, col. 4:
ACADEMY
MARKET
  ITALIAN
  AND
  STEAK
  SANDWICHES
600 E. 14TH STREET
CHESTER, PA.
(No hits--ed.)

2 November 1949, THE DOME, pg. 3, col. 2:
WATSON'S
DELICATESSEN
"THE BEST IN HOGIES"
Our Specialty Is
Your Treat
Just a Hop From the Campus

2 November 1949, THE DOME, pg. 3, col. 3:
DICK'S
LUNCH ROOM
STEAKS . HOGIES
HOT PLATTERS
1202 PROVIDENCE AVE.
Chester, Pa.  Ch. 2-9375

   The first hit is November 2, 1949, and there are suddenly TWO ads, with one already offering "the best in hogies"!
   M-W and all the rest have 1955.
   Maybe I'll hit Wilmington, DE, later today.