blizzard

Gerald Cohen gcohen at UMR.EDU
Mon Dec 11 17:00:19 UTC 2000

Donald Lance wrote (10 Dec.):

Allen Walker Read published an article or a couple of notes on
'blizzard' -- I think in American Speech in the 1930s.  I looked for
the references just now but couldn't locate them.

---The article referred to by D.Lance is Allen Walker Read's "The
word _blizzard_," in _American Speech_, 1927, vol. 5, pp.232-235.
There is also a more recent article on the subject:
Barry Popik and Gerald Cohen: "_Blizzard_ 'snowstorm'--a 1906
newspaper letter-writer claims first-hand knowledge of its origin."
in: _Comments on Etymology_, March, 1997, vol. 26, no. 6, pp. 2-8.

The new material (discovered by Popik) antedates by 20 years the
evidence discovered by A.W. Read and confirms what Read had
tentatively proposed. At the beginning of our article Popik and I
therefore say: "This article is dedicated to Allen Walker Read, in
whose footsteps we follow."

  A copy of the _Comments on Etymology_ "blizzard" article may be
obtained by writing to: Reference Desk, Library, University of
Missouri-Rolla, Rolla, MO 65401. The very helpful staff there will
make a photocopy for a nominal fee.

---Gerald Cohen