Moonshot/Mudshot; Proverbs

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Thu Dec 14 06:30:28 UTC 2000

MOONSHOT/MUDSHOT

   I don't know if OED wants this "M," but "mudshot" has been circulating as
the reverse of an IPO "moonshot."
   I might as well mention "sloptions," "freemium," and "blow-in card" before
Paul McFedries gets to these.

PROVERBS

    Searching "Supreme Court" and "old saying" as keywords gives these:

   "We're not last because we're right, we're right because we're last."
(Supreme Court)
   "The Constitution follows the flag, and the Supreme Court follows the
election returns."  (Finley Peter Dunne)
   "You don't want to know how laws or sausages are made."
   "There's an old saying in politics that where you stand depends on where
you sit."
   "We didn't lose the game, we just ran out of time."

   The following book finally arrived through inter-library loan.  The pages
are not numbered.  A selection follows.

THE POWER OF POSITIVE PESSIMISM:
PROVERBS FOR OUR TIMES
by Howard Kandel
Price/Stern/Sloan Publishers, Inc. Los Angeles, CA, 1964; 1968; 1969

   He who puts his nose to the grindstone is a bloody fool.
   He who never passes the buck is a miser.
   Chaste makes waste.
   A man's best friend is his dogma.
   A penny saved is ridiculous.
   It's not the money, it's the principal and interest.
   Do unto others before they do unto you.
   A house divided against itself is a split level.
   Love thy neighbor, but make sure her husband is away.
   Where there's a will, there's an inheritance tax.
   He who hesitates is constipated.
   Necessity is a mother.
   Let us remember that ours is a nation of lawyers and order.
   Everyone has a right to my own opinion.  (David Brinkley claims this--ed.)
   Laugh, and the world thinks you're an idiot.
   He who laughs last doesn't get the joke.