Australian Wave

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Fri Dec 22 11:11:05 UTC 2000

AUSTRALIAN WAVE

   The "Australian wave," I was told, is really some Australian swatting
flies.

BOOKS

THE GREAT AUSSIE SLANG BOOK
by Eric Spilsted
Self-published, 1997, second edition revised and reset 1998
   I bought this at Dymocks (their Barnes & Noble), but may not have included
it in a previous list.

MORE AUSSIE GAGS:
OVER 1000 FAVOURITE INE-LINERS AND JOKES
by John Blackman
Pan Macmillan, 2000
   Pg. 27:  I asked the New York cop how to get to Carnegie Hall.  "Practice,
practice, practice!" he said.
   THESE ARE AUSSIE ONE-LINERS??
   Nevertheless, a bit useful to see which ones he plagiarized.

A LITTLE FLAVOUR OF AUSTRALIA
by Sandy & John Wingrove
J. D. Publishing, St. Ives NSW
1999, first edition February 2000
Anzac Biscuits...63
Aussie Meat Pies...37
Baby Octopus...25
Balmain Bugs...20
Barbecued prawns...18
Barramundi...22
Blue Swimmer Crabs...27
Chicken Curry...39
Chilli Pumpkin...46
Christmas Ham...31
Corn Fritters...7
Crab Cups...12
Damper...65
Gemscones...69
Ingredient Alternatives...70
Lamingtons...67
Lobster Salad...50
Macadamia White Fish...16
Meat Loaf...33
Ocean Trout Salad...44
Passionfruit Ice Cream...72
Pavlova...74
Penne Pesto...59
Pizza...8
Pumpkin Soup...10
Rack of Lamb...35
Risotto...57
Spicy Potato...48
Summer Fruits...76
Surf and Turf...40
Tagliatelli with Scampi...54
Tamarillos...78
Weight and Measures...60

NEW PENGUIN BOOK OF QUOTATIONS (2000)
  I saw this on the shelf.  Nothing much new.  Another book of the same stuff!

OXFORD BOOK OF PHRASE AND FABLE, ed. by Elizabeth Knowles (2000)
  A BREWER'S imitation published by OUP.  Looks like they had no American
input at all.  None of my stuff is here.  Many exact dates are missing.  So
why did Oxford bother?  Why not just buy Brewer's?

GIANT BOOK OF INSULTS (2000) by Jonathon Green
  If you have the CASSELL DICTIONARY OF SLANG, you don't need this.  A brief
Green knockoff .