nookie

David M. Robertson dmsnake at USIT.NET
Thu Dec 28 01:23:16 UTC 2000

I'm from Virginia, age 53. I first encountered nookie (the word) in probably
1964/65. (When I first encountered nookie otherwise is none of your business.)
As we used it, it meant one thing and one thing only. It was pretty much the
direct equivalent of "pussy," the distinction being that "nookie" was used
more often (but not exclusively) in a collectve/general rather than a
particular context. For example, you could say "I wanna go out and get some
nookie/pussy" just about interchangeably, but if one said "I put my hand on
her *****," he would be more likely to use "pussy" than "nookie;" though
everybody would know what he meant if he used "nookie,." and he would not be
ridiculed for using the word wrongly.

I definitely don't remember "nookie" in those days as meaning any of that
hugging/kissing/necking stuff. I always figured intuitively that it came from
the nook-like properties of the vagina, and was a very specific reference to
that organ. Then, much like "pussy," it came to have the more collective
meaning.

It's funny that this thread should have come up. Just before I logged on I was
thnking about the usage of "cock" for the FEMALE sex organ in parts of the
south in the days of my youth. It seems to me that it got homogenized out in
the 60s. How wide-spread was it? Anbody else remember?

  Snake