fish nipples, rejumpification, & big hair

Mon Feb 14 02:41:03 UTC 2000

In a message dated 2/13/2000 5:45:48 PM, preston at PILOT.MSU.EDU writes:

<< But surely hair-day does have this compound meaning (as various citations
have shown). In which case it is appropriate to ask when that collocation
came about (as one may not ask of, say, fish-nipples, since we know exactly
when it came into being as a nonce exclamatory expression). >>

Well, either "hair day" does or it doesn't have a "compound meaning"--WHAT
citations? You seem to be the only one maintaining this. The people arguing
for ((bad hair) day) argued against a "compound meaning"; the people arguing
against ((bad hair) day) argued against a compound meaning. Who is left?

And, no, we DON'T know when "fish nipples" was first used--all you can do is
cite a recent use of it. In fact, it was also a rock band in the 1980s.