Banned Words

Bob Fitzke fitzke at VOYAGER.NET
Fri Jan 7 01:20:08 UTC 2000

I think you are confused about the meaning of red shirt. It is almost
universally applied to students who are held out of varsity competition in
their freshman year. It is an option. Transfer students are mandated to sit out
a year (though I understand that application of this rule is not universal, and
doesn't apply, for example, when transferring between schools at lower
competitive level). I think it is an NCAA rule. Redshirting is simply a coach
and athlete decision. It can be used, e.g., (as others have written) for kids
that are injured, kids that need more physical maturity to compete, when there
are too many kids for a given position, or if the academics are overly
burdensome.

Bob