"Janglish" news report

Mon Jan 17 23:32:15 UTC 2000

I've never heard "Janglish" as a term for Japanese-English code mixing, nor
has my Japanese colleague.  "Japlish" has been used, although, like
Spanglish and Singlish, it may or may not be acceptable to users.  But the
naivete of the article is amazing, since English borrowings are common in
Japanese.  New borrowings are obviously incomprehensible to some, just as
teenage slang is, but they quickly become familiar.  My colleague said
"mireniamu" (with silent final 'u' conventionally) is very common, and he
even recognized my broken pronunciation of it.  I suspect it's the usual
diatribe against teen talk.