Lenticular

Fri Jan 21 16:30:34 UTC 2000

I wouldn't call these "lenticulars" common items, or
at least the name is not common: why was I so clueless
as to what they were until I saw the URLs?    I then
recognized immediately what we were discussing, but
I'd never heard them refered to as "lenticulars".
Notice that the MotionCards.com page doesn't call them
lenticulars, but motion-image-cards. (I didn't find
the word "lenticular" anywhere at that site.)

As to whether or not this meaning belongs in a
dictionary, I say time will tell.  Will these become
everyday items recognized by most people as
"lenticulars", or will such usage of the word be
limited technological or trade jargon, never come into
common usage, and perhaps fall out of use entirely in
a few years as manufactuters search for new
descriptors and names to distinguish their product
("motion-image-cards" rather than "lenticulars") and
to get away from a word with a broad, general, and
perhaps unclear meaning.

JIM