Genericness

Donald M. Lance LanceDM at MISSOURI.EDU
Sun Jan 23 21:11:10 UTC 2000

The dining car of Amtrak from KC to Chicago features "UNholey bagels." This is a marketing
name for a pastry about 3/4 the diameter of a traditional bagel. It is made of bagel dough
(or bagel-like it you're a purist) with no hole, has a bagel-like exterior, and is
"filled" with a dab of cream cheese.  It's pretty good.  They also have one with cinnamon
but I didn't try it.  It didn't occur to me to save the wrapper, so I can't tell you
anything more.

It is interesting that 'bagel' rather than otherwise-perhaps-expected 'doughnut' was
chosen in tennis to refer to the shape of zero.  The pastry on Amtrak uses the term to
refer to the dough, and grocery stores all over the country sell "bagels" that are larger
than the traditional ones, may have light and fluffy texture, and may be gussied up in a
variety of ways -- and the grocers presume to call them bagels because of their shape.

DMLance