Vietnamese sandwiches

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Mon Jul 17 13:46:13 UTC 2000

VIETNAMESE SANDWICHES

     From the NEW YORK POST, 12 July 2000, pg. 46, col. 1:

     MANHATTAN'S latest edible trend is the Vietnamese sandwich.
     Created by Le Colonial executive chef _Hoc Van Tran_ at _NEM_--a new
Southeast Asian to-go in Grand Central Terminal--the sandwiches are assembled
on fresh baked rolls with a dollop of pate, shredded carrots, daikon,
cucumber and cilantro with a choice of marinated grilled pork, sirloin,
shrimp, chicken breast or vegetables.
     "They were a specialty of my childhood," says Hoc.

     I didn't find the name "Vietnamese sandwich" used in Vietnam.

DEVIL'S FOOD CAKE (continued)

     An earlier citation is "Cake: Devil's Food...112" in FOOD FOR THE
HUNGRY: A COMPLETE MANUAL OF HOUSEHOLD DUTIES (1896) by Julia MacNair Wright,
et al.
     The date and the publisher aren't on the title page, so that's best
worth rechecking.  It's TOGETHER WITH BILLS OF FARE FOR ALL SEASONS by Marion
Harland (a famous food writer of the period).

WINDY CITY (continued)

"The name of 'Windy City,' which is sometimes used by village papers in New
York and Michigan to designate Chicago, is intended as a tribute to the
refreshing lake breezes of the great summer resort of the West, but is an
awkward and rather ill-chosen expression and is doubtless misunderstood."
--CHICAGO TRIBUNE, 11 September 1886.

    This bugged me for years.
    I had looked at the DETROIT FREE PRESS and DETROIT NEWS in the LOC.
While in the Detroit Public Library, I rechecked these and also went through
the DETROIT POST, DETROIT EVENING JOURNAL, DETROIT EVENING TRIBUNE, and
MICHIGAN CATHOLIC.
    "Garden City" is used in 1885 and for much of 1886 in most all of these
newspapers.
    I always thought the Chicago Tribune meant "New York and _Missouri_."  It
was the St. Louis newspapers that ragged on Chicago the most--not Detroit.