Vietnamese sandwiches

Michael michael at RFA.ORG
Mon Jul 17 14:15:13 UTC 2000

as far as i know, the Vietnamese call these
tasty little items "banh mi".

michael
           michael hunter horlick
               michael at rfa.org
      Sileann do chara agus do namhaid
       nach bhfaighidh tú bá choiche.
                  - Irish Proverb
-----Original Message-----
From: American Dialect Society [mailto:ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU]On Behalf
Of Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sent: Monday, July 17, 2000 9:46 AM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Vietnamese sandwiches

VIETNAMESE SANDWICHES

     From the NEW YORK POST, 12 July 2000, pg. 46, col. 1:

     MANHATTAN'S latest edible trend is the Vietnamese sandwich.
     Created by Le Colonial executive chef _Hoc Van Tran_ at _NEM_--a new
Southeast Asian to-go in Grand Central Terminal--the sandwiches are
assembled
on fresh baked rolls with a dollop of pate, shredded carrots, daikon,
cucumber and cilantro with a choice of marinated grilled pork, sirloin,
shrimp, chicken breast or vegetables.
     "They were a specialty of my childhood," says Hoc.

     I didn't find the name "Vietnamese sandwich" used in Vietnam.