Glossary of Swing and Jitterbug Terms (part 2)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Thu Jun 15 00:44:08 UTC 2000

Pg. 33:

"jitter sauce"...liquor
"jive"...the jargon itself, lingo or speech
"jive wire"...a sophisticated jitterbug
"jog up the cats"...let's have some music, give out with the orchestra
"joint is jumping"...the place is lively, people making merry
"kill me"...show me a good time  (KIDS!  DO NOT USE!  THESE JIVE MASTERS ARE PROFESSIONALS!--ed.)
"killer-diller"...a great thrill, or the "tops"
"kopassetic"...absolutely all right, okay
"krum"...a cheap person, inconsequential
"licks"...hot musical phrases
"light up"...to smoke a reefer or cigarette
"long hair"...musician who plays by note, or prefers the classics
"mahogany"...piano
"mellow"...all right,, fine, in good mood
"muggin"...making 'em laugh, giving out with "jive"
"neigho pops"...nothing doing Mister
"nix out"...eliminate
"no soap"...nothing at all
"off the cob"...corny, old-fashioned in style or taste
"out-of-this-world"...perfect rendition, perfection, moved to the nth degree
"pitch a little woo"...make love, become affectionate
"plenty hep"...smart, having great understanding, wise to everything
"plenty of bounce"...lots of rhythm, full of pep
"reefer"...marihuana cigarette
"rib"...to tease, give a person the "burn-up," or annoy someone
"rock 'em solid"...give it all you've got
"rock me"...send me, or to swing on down
"rug cutter"...a very good dancer (same as carpet-cutter)
(COl. 2--ed.)
"sailing"...high, aesthetic, or intoxicated
"salty"...angry or mad
"schmaltz"...unctious music
"send me"...to arouse the emotion, pleased, thrilled, amused
"sharp"...nifty, neat and tricky
"sharp as a tack"...very sharp, perfect, great in every respect, groomed to super-perfection, show-off
"slip me some skin"...congratulate me, give me your hand
"so help me"...it's the truth, believe me
"solid"...all right, great, swell, terrific
"stooge"...a sap, a vapid person
"strictly barrel-house"...playing an instrument in a low-down manner
"swingfest"...a gathering of jitterbugs, dancing, a jamboree
"take a powder"...leave, take a walk, go away
"take off"...playing a solo, going-to-town
"tea"...reefers, marihuana
"teapad"...any place where they smoke weed
"the stuff is here"...on hand, plenty of it
"togged to the bricks"...dressed to kill, from head to foot
"trilly"...get started, exit, cut loose
"truck"...to dance, the dance itself
"truckin' on down"...to go somehwere, to leave
"twerps"..no-good guys
"twister to the slammer"...key to a door
"twits"...young punks, wise-crackers
"unhip"...not familiar, not wise
"viper"...one who smokes the weed
"weed"...marihuana
"whip that thing"...play that instrument
"whipped up"...beat, exhausted
"woo-hoo"...ain't that something?
"zas-zu-zas"...music, a shout of enjoyment