forte (was: Re: Accents in Am. English)

Mon Jun 19 00:47:19 UTC 2000

In a message dated 6/16/2000 4:43:10 PM, dumasb at UTK.EDU writes:

<< I ALWAYS say /fort/, but I am careful to say aferwards, "a word that
almost no one pronounces correctly anymore." I don't mind being thought
ignorant, but I sure don't want to miss an opportunity to give a Lx
101 lecture. (I usually get it.) (When I hear /fortay/ I think music.) >>

It is good to hear that linguists now understand that  "correctly pronounced"
is a legitimate category in American society.