Hot Sale

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun May 14 16:27:06 UTC 2000

   Greetings from Bratislava, Slovak Republic.  This keyboard is completely messed up.  Brat-is-lava means volcanic place to drop rebellious teen.

HOT SALE

  A sign in the LEVIS store in Brno read HOT SALE.  Why hot sale if they sell the original Levis and are an authorized outlet?  I asked my tour guide if they had a Czech expression for HOT and he told me--
  "It fell off the truck."

CZECH-AMERICAN SLANG

  Czech out--OK, THAT IS MY CZECH PUN LIMIT--these books that I saw for sale:

Sinclair Nicholas, WANG-DANG AMERICAN SLANG, 1992
Sinclair Nicholas, WANG-DANG AMERICAN THANG, 1994

SLOVAK SPECTATOR

   The SLOVAK SPECTATOR is free in the lobby.  They have some back issues.

April 24-30, 2000, pg. 7, col. 1, INTERNATIONAL CUISINE
   STEAK HOUSE--This famous steak house near the Istropolis centre is perhaps the only place in the city where you'll be asked how you want it cooked.  Dishes are named after US states like Arizona [with Roquefort sauce], Tennessee [with Jack Daniels whiskey] and Nebraska [with black beans].

May 1-7, 2000, pg. 11, col. 1., PUBS
     Like the wine cellar, the beer hall is a symbol of the Slovak nation.  Not only is Slovak beer among the best in the world, but local pub-goers are versed in beer protocol, making a night on the town even more enjoyable.  Usually known as "pivaren" pubs are also known informally in Slovak as krcma [tavern], senk [roadhouse], vycap [any smoke-filled room where beer is consumed by the gallon] and pajzel [the lowest sort of dive].

May 8-14, 2000, pg. 11, col. 1, CAFES
     Be aware that mose cafes serve several different types of coffee [kava].  To help you decide keep these phrases in mind: strong Turkish coffee [Turecka Kava], with the grounds at the bottom of the cup, is what you'll sometimes get if you don't specify, but more often you'll get an espresso [presso].  Delicious Viennese [Viedenska Kava] is coffee with whipped cream.  Other choices include coffee with milk [kava s mliekom], Algerian [Alzirska kava] with egg liqueur, and cappuccino.
[Algerian coffee is ARABIAN coffee at this internet cafe on the Danube--ed.]

May 13-20, 2000, pg. 7, col. 2, RESTAURANTS
     Try the Armenian salad [garlic and shredded carrots], followed by the Edith Piaf chicken.  Wash it down with a Slovak Riesling or Cabernet.