QUERY: This one's gonna be fun...

Joe Pickett Joe_Pickett at HMCO.COM
Fri May 26 12:00:50 UTC 2000

We recently quizzed my 11-year -old son on this baseball metaphor, which he used
in describing the behavior of some of his more precocious classmates.

To him, first base meant petting; second base meant "fingering," although he
wasn't quite sure what this meant.

I've forgotten exactly how third and home play out in his diamond (I'll ask him
again).

But apparently Tom Wolfe is correct--there has been a shift on the bases, at
least since I was a teenager in the 1960s, when getting to first base meant
kissing.  Now people are kissing in the batter's box.

Joe

Kathleen Miller <millerk at NYTIMES.COM> on 05/25/2000 04:37:48 PM

Please respond to American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>