fronted /oU/

Tim Frazer tcf at MACOMB.COM
Fri Nov 3 22:21:26 UTC 2000

Beverly's observation that fronting has been around a long time in her South
Midland area is interesting, because around where I live, which has a
somewhat similar English-speaking settlement history (albeit one that starts
about a generation later than in SE Ohio, c. 1830 vs. 1800 + or -)
/oU/ fronting, while common among rural speakers, seems to have begun only
in those born after WWII.  (BTW, these communities are located in W. ILL
about 100 mi. due N of ST. Louis, about halfway between Peoria and
Burlington, IA.)
Case I:  Women from one family in LaHarpe, IL: (Name, DOB, %ow fronting on
tape)
Olive 1898 0
Anne 1908  0
Maryanne 1933 0
Diane        1951 56%  (n/n=5/9)
Kate          1956  56%  5/9
Interviewed 1978-80

Case 2: Women from one family, Industry, IL
Nancy 1900 17% (2/12)
Donne  1935   0% (0/7)
Melinda 1961  75% (6/8)

Case 3:  Students at Industry High School, interviewed 1993
Brandy, 1978, 13%
Colleen, 1979, 67%
Cassie,   1980, 33%
Kelly       1980 66%
Carrie     1981  16%   (These students were all reading a set passage while
their English teacher watched.  The families above (case 1 and 2) were free
conversations recorded by a family member)

Attached are ow fronting scores recorded by HS and college students around
LaHarpe IL in the mid 90s.  These were taped by students in my linguistics
classes, usually peers.

Tim