english only passes in utah

Wed Nov 8 16:59:24 UTC 2000

--- Lynne Murphy <lynnem at COGS.SUSX.AC.UK> wrote:

> I've never seen the word "Utahns" before.  Is the
> 'n' syllabic?

> Lynne

No.  The fed's tried to convince us we were "Utahans"
a while back, but that fell flat on its face.  If my
recall isn't totally fuzzy, Sen. Hatch even brought up
on the Senate floor the question as to whether the
Federal government was to refer to a resident of Utah
as "Utahn" (prefered and used locally) or "Utahan"
(official fed usage at the time).  I don't recall
whether or not there was ever an "official"
resolution.

=====
SLC, UT                        |it is that we will be sued