english only passes in utah

Peter A. McGraw pmcgraw at LINFIELD.EDU
Wed Nov 8 17:24:15 UTC 2000

Interesting!  Do Utahns pronounce the name of their state as the spelling
would indicate (with final [a:]) or as "Utaw," as I've always pronounced it
and, to my knowledge, heard it.  "Utahn" seems a logical spelling if the
state is [ju:ta:], but somehow less so if it's [ju:t):].  Maybe this has
something to do with the federal-Utah disagreement.

Peter Mc.

--On Wed, Nov 8, 2000 8:59 AM -0800 James Smith