money as AAVE quasi-pronoun?

Jesse Sheidlower jester at PANIX.COM
Fri Nov 10 01:59:59 UTC 2000

> The Internet Movie Database lists Liman as the director but credits Jon
> Favreau with the screenplay, but in addition to this factoid, I remember
> seeing Favreau on Letterman following the film's release.  When asked about
> his characters' usage of money, Favreau said that he made it up.  He wanted
> his group to have their own collection of slang terms, and the adjectival
> use of money was one of the results.  He didn't, BTW, use the term
> "adjectival."

Hmm. That surprises me, since I asked Doug Liman directly about
this (a friend of mine went to college with him) and he said then
that he had heard it in Los Angeles and hadn't made it up.

But whether deliberately coined or not, the fact remains that
the usage seems not to have any currency outside of specific
references to the movie.

Jesse Sheidlower
OED