Bulgarian food & drink (continued)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun Oct 8 21:57:22 UTC 2000

   Greetings from Veliko Tarnovo, Bulgaria, where I'm surrounded by kids playing computer games.  This place is open 24 hours, but these kids never sleep.
   Today I went inside a Thracian tomb.  I came out.

ARBANASSI PALACE
   This is from my hotel's bar:
CLEVER GIRL--raspberry juice, strawberry juice, orange juice, pineapple juice, orange, lemon, cream
GREEN BOY--grapefruit juice, peppermint juice, tonic water
BLACK BOY--coffee, chocolate, milk, whipped cream
TARNOVO SPECIAL--liqueur, orange juice, champagne
DAIQUIRI
BLACK RUSSIAN
DARINA--gin, black currant juice, tonic water
OLD FASHIONED
MARGUERITE
MANHATTAN
ALEXANDER
KARIBY
BLOODY MARIE
LOVE, LOVE--chocolate liqueur, brandy, ice cream
CHAMPAGNE COFFEE
LONG NEGRO
PRESIDENT
CROISIER

JUMP RESTAURANT
   Where we ate at Plovdiv.  I noticed "Fish Soap" on the menu.  We didn't order it--it probably tasted like "crap" (carp).
   Some menu items:
QUAILS BY "WALONCIEN" STYLE
STEWED PHEASANT IN CREAM SAUCE "CHARLEY"
   Fondiu Sause (sic):
MECKLENBURG--hum (sic), butter, butter cheese, white wine
BERN--pepper, onions, tomato, butter cheese, egg cream, white wine
FOREST--mushroom, butter, butter cheese, white wine, cream
   Sausages and Cheese:
LOUKANKA "TRAPEZITSA"
BABEK "TRACIAN"
FILLET "ELENA"
   Piquant sace (sic):
"ANDALUSY"--tomato paste, vinegar, mustard, seasoning, yolk
"GYPSY"--onions, tomato, vinegar, sugar, cucumber, apple, pepper, seasoning
"EXOTIC"--pineapple, onions, vinegar, apple, morello, carrot, pepper, seasoning

LE GOURMET RESTAURANT
   Our favorite restaurant in Sophia has:
OLD TIMER'S SALAD--chicken, ham, yellow cheese, tomato, cucumber, egg in vinegar and lemon dressing
MOULE MARINIERE
MEDITERRANEAN LOBSTER
CANARD LAQUE--duck breasts, soja sauce, cream, hot sin sauce served on a pancake
PORK FILLET "CHOUCROUTE"--grilled pork fillet with cabbage cooked in champagne and white wine
   Lebanese Kitchen menu:
HOMMOS (BI TAHINI)
MOUTOBAL (BABA GHANOUJ)--eggplant, sesame oil, garlic and lemon juice
WORAG INAB--vine leaves, stuffed with vegetables and rice
KIBBE NAYYE--raw meat with burghol
KAFTA NAYYE--raw meat with onion and parsley
HABRA NAYYE--raw meat
SAMBOUSIK
KIBBE--fried meatballs
ARAYESS KAFTA--kafta spread on bread and grilled
SUJUK--fried sujuk with lemon sauce
LEBANESE SAUSAGE (MAKANIK) (OED?--ed.)
LAHM MASHWI--grilled meat
KAFTA MASHWI--grilled kafta
FATTOUCHE--lettuce, onion, parsley, cucumber, tomatoes, small pieces of fried bread
TABBOULE--parsley, mint, tomatoes, onion, burghol