tumeric/turmeric & donut/doughnut

Thomas Paikeday t.paikeday at SYMPATICO.CA
Mon Oct 16 16:03:56 UTC 2000

>From the comments received I would think "tumeric" should be the
preferred form in North American dictinaries simply because it could be
the most frequently used form. More research may be required.
(Incidentally, this has been a bit of a revelation to me. In the country
where I grew up, "turmeric," widely used as dyestuff and in cooking and
cosmetics, is the only form heard and English is an official language
there); hence my earlier remarks, which I realize were prejudiced.

For the same reason, "donut," I believe, is another spelling variant
which should be elevated to main entry status. I did it in my Penguin
Canadian Dictionary (1990).

TOM PAIKEDAY