tumeric/turmeric & donut/doughnut

Douglas G. Wilson douglas at NB.NET
Tue Oct 17 04:31:47 UTC 2000

>_Webster's Third New International D._, c. 1986 shows
>tumeric to be a variant of turmeric.

Chalk one up for the home team.

I always thought the big M-W dictionary was the thing to have, if the OED
was excluded from the discussion. Recently in Crystal's big-format popular
book he compares the Third with the OED (IIRC).

Since the OED has decided to keep us riff-raff out through grotesque price
strategy ($400.00 for a CD which is acknowledged to be many years obsolete
at the time of purchase!), Webster's Third might be just the thing to have.
Newly available on CD, apparently it's $70.00 list -- which means $60.00
now, $40.00 'street' soon. [I've been using the RHUD on CD ... you can find
it for about $10.00 these days -- and it's pretty good too.]

Of course, I would no longer consider shopping for my dictionary (or for
anything else) at Amazon.

-- Doug Wilson