Subway Serial

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Fri Oct 20 01:17:28 UTC 2000

   I screwed this up a bit and couldn't find all of my notes, so I did a
little more research before I dropped the stuff off at the Transit Museum
today.

17 October 2000, NEWSDAY, pg. A88--AS A PHRASE, "Subway Series" goes back to
1941, according to historians at the Baseball Hall of Fame.  The first known
mention of it (I exist in a world of the unknown--ed.) occurred in a cartoon
by Willard Mullin in honor of the Yankees-Brooklyn Dodgers World Series.

14 October 2000, NEW YORK TIMES, "A Baseball Town Again" by Roger Kahn, pg.
19--In a term coined by the cartoonist Willard Mullin, these were the Subway
Series.

10 October 1923, NEW YORK EVENING JOURNAL, Ford C. Frick column, pg. 1, col.
2--To-day, lethargy and ennui cast aside, New York is as excited, as baseball
mad, as if it were the first series of the universe. (...) Everywhere you go;
on street car, on subway, on elevated--wherever humans gather together, there
is conversation and speculation and guessing.  (No S. S.--ed.)

10 October 1923, NEW YORK AMERICAN, pg. 1, col. 6 headline--Hoyt and Neht Are
Probable Pitchers in the First Clash of Third New York Series.  (No S.
S.--ed.)

11 September 1936, DAILY NEWS, "Never Give a Sucker--" by Jack Miley, pg. 68,
col. 4--A subway World Series stares us in the puss and the gluttonous
magnates are getting ready to shear faithful old John Q. Public, the guy who
has kept their parks open all Summer.

14 September 1936, NEW YORK POST, "Hugh Bradley Says," pg. 15, col. 1--Of
course it is true that several days must elapse before the subway World
Series becomes a mathematical certainty...

14 September 1936, NEW YORK EVENING JOURNAL, pg. 23 cartoon by Burris
Jenkins, Jr.--NY Giants pitcher Carl Hubbell carries a huge nickel on his
shoulders.  (The subway was a nickel.  The NY Giants had not yet
clinched--ed.)

14 September 1936, NEW YORK WORLD-TELEGRAM, "By Joe Williams," pg. 28, col.
1--...all-New York world series...

15 September 1936, NEW YORK WORLD-TELEGRAM, "Daniel's Dope" by Dan Daniel,
pg. 30, col. 2--...all-New York classic...

15 September 1936, DAILY NEWS, pg. 48, col. 1--...nickel series...

15 September 1936, NEW YORK WORLD-TELEGRAM, pg. 29, col. 8--...long-awaited
nickel series...

17 September 1936, NEW YORK WORLD-TELEGRAM, pg. 30, col. 7
headline---Dodgers, the Spoilers, Tackling New York Too Late Apparently to
Block Subway Series--Smith Back in Form.

17 September 1936, THE SPORTING NEWS, pg. 3, col. 7 headline--"SUBWAY SERIES"
MAY SET NEW CASH MARK.

18 September 1936, NEW YORK AMERICAN, "Both Barrels" by Damon Runyon, pg. 25,
col. 1--...Cocktail Series (Manhattan and Bronx--har!)...

24 September 1936, NEW YORK POST, pg. 22, cols. 1-4 headline--READERS' RIGHT:
OLD SUBWAY SERIES SCORES.

29 September 1936, NEW YORK POST, pg. 12 full page ad--Follow the Subway
Series in the New York Post.

29 September 1936, NEW YORK POST, pg. 20 headline--Nickel Series...

30 September 1936, NEW YORK POST, pg. 20 cartoon of fans on a flying carpet
over New York, with the ballplayers' heads atop the buildings--Bagdad on the
Subway.  (O. Henry's nickname for New York CIty.--ed.)