Folk etymology

Alice Faber faber at HASKINS.YALE.EDU
Fri Oct 20 15:38:38 UTC 2000

Bob Fitzke wrote:
>Just received this via email from a member of another list. Does this
>qualify as folk etymology?

It sure does. This one's been making the rounds in various forms.
There was a (brief, as I recall) discussion of something similar
within the past month on alt.folklore.urban, much to the puzzlement
of some of the non-USA participants. As I recall, the version that
got discussed there had the "86"="kill" but not the interpretation of
RU4.

What's immediately below was posted on Sept. 28. There wasn't a whole
lot of productive follow-up discussion, since the topic has a
tendency to become political rather than folklorical.

>This morning Rush Limbaugh asserted that "86 means to kill something,"
> and then pursue that theme into comments on the irony of the name of
> the drug 'RU486'.

Alice Faber

Alice Faber                                             faber at haskins.yale.edu
Haskins Laboratories                                  tel: (203) 865-6163 x258
New Haven, CT 06511 USA                                     fax (203) 865-8963