Southern 2nd-person plural double genitive

Mark A. Mandel Mark_Mandel at DRAGONSYS.COM
Fri Oct 20 18:22:52 UTC 2000

Jessie Emerson <jessie at SIRSI.COM> writes:

An aside:  Doesn't the coastal southern dialect map dip really high once it
gets into Mississippi?
<<<<<

"Dip high?" While I think I know what s/he (sorry! name ambiguous!) means,
I've only ever heard "dip" used for a *downward* deviation.

(Of course, I scoff at those -- are there any left? -- who insist that
"climb down" is a contradiction in terms.)

   Mark A. Mandel : Dragon Systems, a Lernout & Hauspie company
          Mark_Mandel at dragonsys.com : Senior Linguist
 320 Nevada St., Newton, MA 02460, USA : http://www.dragonsys.com
                     (speaking for myself)