Put Up Or Shut Up

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun Sep 24 19:50:34 UTC 2000

     Greetings from Eger, Hungary.  I go for wine tasting tomorrow in the Valley of the Beautiful Women.  It was named that because, after the wine tasting, all women are said to be beautiful.

PUT UP OR SHUT UP

    This never stops.
    William Safire's column this Sunday (which, of course, does not correct his column for last Sunday) mentions "put up or shut up."
    About three years ago, I posted that here on ADS-L.  Any ADS member could have seen it.  It was from HARPER'S WEEKLY in the early 1870s.  There was a nice cartoon with PUT UP on one playing card and SHUT UP on the other.
    The New York Times does not publish Safire corrections from me.

ONE OR TWO OR TWELVE

     My tour guide used this phrase.  "One, or two...or twelve."  I haven't done a database check.

HUNGARIAN FOOD

    I have two cookbooks, but this internet cafe/bar is too dark for that.
    Does OED have "Hortobagyi" (Hortobagy) mincemeat crepes?  "Robber's meat on spit"?  "Balaton pike perch cutlet good woman style with stewed rice"?  Paloc soup (French bean soup with estragon, sour cream and pork)?  Somlo sponge cake?  Somloer dumplings?  Pancake Gundel?

PUSZTA COCKTAIL--apricot brandy, Mecseki, tokaji szamordori.  (Check web for the correct ingredients.  I've seen this at least twice.)