Wapper-jawed

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Mon Sep 25 05:32:23 UTC 2000

At 10:40 AM -0500 9/25/00, Herb Stahlke wrote:
>I have the same word from somewhere in the lower Great Lakes
>region probably in the 60s, but the form I know is "lopperjawed".
>I hadn't heard "wapperjawed", and I haven't looked my version up.
>
>Herb Stahlke

Compared to the amply attested wapperjawed/wopperjawed, lopperjawed
seems to be much rarer:  no hits on the hyphenated version, only one
on the single-word:

http://w3.nai.net/~tdiann/st_high1.htm

My baggage and I went laboriously down a block and across the street
to the Hospitality Inn, where we met the tour coaches. (At this
point, I was wanting a Terry
Pratchett-style luggage with legs to be following me -- I'd bought
two sweaters in Edinburgh, and they made my suitcase a bit
lopperjawed, which meant that the wheels
refused to track well on remotely uneven terrain.) Finding the other
science fiction fen was easy enough, even without the scattered folk
wearing T-shirts from some
convention or another. I think we exude a certain undefinable air,
plus there's something a bit more staid about the standard tourist...

larry