Spelling names; Was Stress on final syllable of names

Chase, Jeffrey Jeffrey.Chase at WANG.COM
Wed Sep 27 15:55:32 UTC 2000

The bit about the spelling vs. pronunciation of Irish names reminded me of
something I have always wondered about...

Why is Cahalan pronounced 'Callahan'?  This caused me no end of
consternation when I was a paperboy and mentioned my nice customers on 12th
St. NE who didn't seem to know how to spell their name.

Jeff

Jeffrey E. Chase
Wang Government Services
"Have red pencil.  Will travel."
Opinions expressed in this e-mail are solely those of the author, and not
meant to imply endorsement by Getronics, Wang Government Services, or the
United States Government.