The Restaurants of New York (1925)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun Apr 1 05:50:56 UTC 2001

THE RESTAURANTS OF NEW YORK
by George S. Chappell
New York, Greenberg, inc.
1925

Pg. 7:  You were expected to "grab, gobble and git," and to watch your hat and coast while so doing.

Pg. 29:  ..."gone native"...

Pg. 44:  ...restaurantese...

Pg. 45:  ...the busiest corner of the world, where men eat "on the wing," so to speak, as they fly from one commission to another.

Pg. 65:  In another few years, it is predicted that Fifty-seventh will be _the_ street.
(My home--ed.)

Pg. 73:  ...and "Aristocratic Irish Stew."  I called my waiter.  "What does the 'aristocratic' mean?" I asked.  His lips twitched a little as he bent and whispered in my ear, "It has meat in it."

Pg. 81:  ..."Lane of Light"...  (Broadway, the Great White Way--ed.)

Pg. 86:  On Tuesdays, for a number of years, the Martinique has been the scene of the weekly reunions of the famous Dutch Treat Club.
(When did this club form?--ed.)

Pg. 97:  ...those "in the know"...

Pg. 108:  ...supper club...
(OED 1927?--ed.)

Pg. 117:  ..."wise cracks"...

Pg. 133:  As a poet of the dinner-table has said:
"We long to feed our faces
In the great, wide, open spaces."

Pg. 161:  I long to make repeated visits and try such combinations as _Moo Goo Bar Low Guy Pan_, which is boneless chicken with pineapple and lots of other things.