A Nice Place to Visit (1939); 2+2=4; Hawaiian Clothing

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Thu Aug 2 02:46:52 UTC 2001

A NICE PLACE TO VISIT

   New York City is "a nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there."  I previously posted cites from 1940-1960.
   The Herald Tribune Home Institute did a study of the life and habits of New Yorkers, and it was published during the World's Fair year.
   From THIS WEEK magazine in the NEW YORK HERALD TRIBUNE, 4 June 1939, pg. 16, col. 4 (last lines):

   For because of you, a group of New Yorkers now know more about themselves; --and the country at large knows some of the answers to the perennial remark, "New York's a great place to visit, but I don't know how people really live there."

2+2=4

   Why is something simple expressed "2+2=4"?  Why not "1+1=2"?  Why not "1+2=3"?
   Lucky Strike Cigarettes ran several ads with this at the top.
   From the NEW YORK HERALD TRIBUNE, 21 March 1939, pg. 40, cols. 3-8:

_Sure as 2+2=4_

HAWAIIAN CLOTHING

   Jesse Sheidlower teased me with his 1940 "Hawaiian shirt."
   From the NEW YORK HERALD TRIBUNE, 3 June 1939, pg. 16, col. 3:

_Hawaiian Patterned Shorts, Lastex Knitted_
   _Trunks and Short Terry Jackets Are Popular_
   Those Hawaiian bathing trunks with the large, bright patterns are more popular than I thought they'd be when I saw them first several years ago.  The most conservative shop in town has a large selection on display.  Another, good haberdasher says that he has sold more this year than ever before.
   Most of the shops I visited this week had them in one version or another.  Besides the stylized flower patterns, there were patterns with ocean liners, palm trees and the like, printed on colored grounds.  I also saw some cotton shorts of Indian madras in restrained plaids.  And there were shirts of the same material.